This poster is a beautiful print of an oil on canvas which depicts a Hawker Hurricane Mark IID ( JV - Z, BP 188 ) of No. 6 Squadron ( R.A.F. ), armed with two Vickers Class " S " 40 mm cannons and ready to take - off.
||106,2 x 76,2 cm
||Barrie A.F. Clark
||Ventura Prints Limited
This beautiful print of an oil on canvas depicts the Hawker Hurricane Mark IID " JV - Z " ( Serial Number : BP 188 ), which was part of " B " Flight, No. 6 Squadron.
The Squadron was formed on January 31st, 1914, at Farnborough ( Hampshire, England ) as part of the Royal Flying Corps.
In 1938, the unit was relocated to Palestine, reverting to the Army Co - operation role with Hawker Hardys, adding Gloster Gauntlets and Westland Lysanders. When hostilities with Italy broke out in June 1940, No. 6 Squadron deployed one Flight of aircraft to Egypt to work with the Army, with the remainder of the Squadron remained in Palestine.
From September 1940 the Squadron began to operate in the Western Desert, flying tactical reconnaissance missions. For this purpose, one Flight was converted to the Hawker Hurricane to provide a fighter escort for the vulnerable Lysanders. June 1941 saw the last Lysanders withdrawn, but soon afterwards the Squadron was withdrawn, and its aircraft distributed amongst other units.
A second tour of duty followed between August 1941 and January 1942, this time with Lysanders, Gladiators, Hurricanes and Bristol Blenheims.
Based at Shandur ( Egypt ) in April 1942 and equipped with the Hawker Hurricane Mark IID armed with two Vickers Class " S " 40 mm cannons ( nicknamed the " Flying Can Opener " ), the unit saw action in the tank - busting over the Western Desert and Tunisia ( from December 1942 until September 1943 ). It carried out this duty with a short break for shipping protection duties between December 1942 and February 1943.
In September 1943, No. 6 Squadron was converted to Hurricane Mark IV's armed with rockets, by now the preferred weapon for ground attack aircraft. Armed with these rockets it transferred to Italy, flying ground attack operations in Italy and across the Balkans.
After the war, No. 6 Squadron returned to Palestine.
( sources : Wikipedia, historyofwar.org )