This brochure gives an overlook onto the establishment and conduct of the Atlantic Ferry of Bombers and Fighters from the U.S. to Great Britain from 1940 to 1945. Includes eight pages of illustrations.
Prepared for the Air Ministry by the Ministry of Information
I. THE BUILDING OF THE BRIDGE
1. Overture and Beginners
2.First to Go: the Hudsons
3. The Crossing of the Catalinas
II. THE PATTERN IN THE AIR
4. The Ferry Service Grows
5. Over the Top of the World
6. A Search Party Went Out
7. The Spans of the Flying Bridge
III. NORTH ATLANTIC
8. "Round the Parish": a North Atlantic Tour
9. A Great Black Rock in the Arctic
10. Records on the Northern Route
11. Cargoes and Supercargoes
12. A Dispatch for Mr. Churchill
IV. SOUTH ATLANTIC
13. Three Thousand Miles to Africa.
14. "Up the Line": Middle East Supply Routes
With eight pages of illustrations between pp. 38 and 39
Flying to bring us aid, you went
Your oceanic ways until
There hung in the wild firmament
A bridge of air stronger than steel.
Sky captains, may your flying span
Shine over the far-furrowed seas
A rainbow of good hope to man,
A storm-born thoroughfare of peace.